An 1890's ballgown: a green velveteen bodice,skirt of heavy green and gold tapestry, lined with heavy sailcloth and green taffeta. On the back of my heada large fan of dark gold feathersattached to a large haircomb.
An authentic 1900 dotted swiss skirt and "waist" (blouse) given to me. The skirt was unfinished. A month later I received the 3 yds of 35" dotted swiss from which this was made. I was able to finish the dress in its style. The raised collar has built in stiffeners. The hat was copied from the cover of an old 1902 Designer magazine. This dress was also donated to the Ezra Meeker Mansion in Puyallup, WA.
One of the first costumes I made after moving from Edmonton to Parkland, WA. I always tried to design my costumes to give people the feeling of being in an old theatre long ago.The dress was yellow satin,and I used old beads and trims as much as possible on all my dresses.
A black satin sheath dress, with pink taffeta ruffles around the bottom and the long train. A beautiful beaded collar from an antique store fit the neckline perfectly. The hat feathers are pink,and the boa and umbrella fluff are made of pink tulle.
This was the combination of two costumes...the red skirt came from another outfit, and the top will look familiar from other pictures.
this dress is a modern cranberry velour. It traveled very well when I was on the road. It is heavily decorated with clusters of old black beads. See picture to the right for better detail.
This was a fun costume! A plain black sheath underneath. Over it, a complex "dress" made entirely of black beads crocheted together on black thread so it has a stretchy effect. If you stare at the picture enough you will see some black "strings" of beads on the left just barely swinging out as I moved. What fun to twist and move a bit and see those beads fling out like a carnival ride. The beading goes back to the early 1920's or before that. The wide band around the bottom of the dress is black sequins and also very old. It came off another dress from the past.
This hat is 26" x 36": I created for the Tacoma production of "George M' in 1976, the 200th anniversary of the U.S.
The dress below copied from a 1900 pattern (only the top was changed). The material is a rose pink satin; all the trims and old beads sewed on by hand.This was NOT the dress worn for "George M".
I made this dress for a WSU function in Pullman, WA.. The day I was to fly I accidentally stepped on a needle that fell in the carpet the night before. I was barefoot. A quick trip to the doctor resulted in x-rays and stitches. At the performance, I was wearing tennis shoes underneath!
This is a copy of a dress worn by Virginia Bruce in the 1935 movie, Times Square Lady by MGM. (find picture in " Glamorous 1930's Hollywood Designs". I found this dress at an antique shop except it had little fitted lace sleeves. I bought many yards of black net, then cut endless circles that became endless yards of gathersto make the sleeves match the picture.Those sleeves are really not as big as they look. The dress is very elegant. It was one of my favorite dresses to wear.
This 1940's dress belonged to my aunt, and the 1940 shoes made the costume complete. During World War II clothing was simpler and they tried to use less material.
This is how I dressed when I took my children "Trick or Treating" at Halloween time. Wanted you to know what I looked like when I wasn't being Rhinestone Rosie!! I was a great chaperone and body-guard.
This was my Christmas to Valentine's Day dress, made from a wedding dress pattern. The hat came from Goodwill, covered with material and feathers. My gloves are called,"string knit." This was a WSU Homecoming the year I was Alumni President (1981). I sang the national anthem at the opening of the game and joined the marching band at half time.
This beautiful silk print is a skirt and waist. It was made about 1904, and fortunately the"giver"found leftover scraps enabling me to repair under the arms where perspiration had rotted the material, and widen the back of the waist.The beige chiffon had a big stain in the middle, but I was able to make a small seam in it to hide the stain. The band of material around the bottom of the skirt has tiny silver metal brads in each place where the material is gathered up.I recently donated it to the Ezra Meeker Mansion in Puyallup. I loved wearing it!
This dress was made of a blue watermark taffeta slip that someone had used under a formal dress. The white feathers across the bodice were in 7 pieces and I used a narrow piece of avacado colored velvet ribbon to hold them in place. This basic white hat was copied from the cover of a 1902 design magazine. The base for the hat was a little girl's Breton straw from the Goodwill that I took apart and changed.
This dress was almost an exact copy of a 1900 English museum piece pamphlet. All the black trim is very old and I took an old umbrella of the same period and totally re covered it, using exactly the same stitching and design. Even the hat was carefully copied from the picture on the flyer.
The tiny black pieces holding each red tassel are made of at least 50 jet beads of different sizes. I made a design on heavy hat stiffening and then sat at the kitchen table working under a small flood lamp and sewed each of the seven designs. The piece hanging from the bodice is probably 100 years old and was typical of the deorations found on elegant and/or evening wear.